Thursday, January 28, 2010

1906 And Still Continuing

I didn't know that (IDKT) .... in 1906 there was a novel written by Upton Sinclair entitled "The Jungle". That novel revealed some ugly truths about meat production in America. I find it hard to believe that we have been facing this situation for more than 100 years. I have ordered the book and will read and publish some of my findings in the coming weeks.

As Bryan wrote in his Time magazine article "The U.S. agricultural industry can now produce unlimited quantities of meat and grains at remarkably cheap prices. But it does so at a high cost to the environment, animals and humans."

I have a feeling that nothing much has changed in the big scheme of things since Sinclair published his novel. I'm amazed and frustrated and angry at myself all at the same time. Where have I been? Why did it take me until now to question all of this?

Ah - I struck a nerve - now I remember - I started getting sicker and sicker and the docs told me "welcome to old age". This is the urgent issue right now and if we clean up our food, we ultimately clean up our health.

As Bryan further stated in the Time article "perhaps worst of all, our food is increasingly bad for us, even dangerous."

So what does it take? To further quote Bryan "For all the grumbling you do about your weekly grocery bill, the fact is you've never had it so good, at least in terms of what you pay for every calorie you eat. Accordingly to the USAD, Americans spend less than 10% of their incomes on food, down from 18% in 1966."

OMG. That sentence says it all for me. Where have our priorities gone? It's definitely time for change. Now you know (NYK)! Pass it along and be A VOICE FOR CHANGE. Namaste (I bow to you), Donna

Info taken from an article by Bryan Walsh "The Real Cost of Cheap Food", "America's Food Crisis and How to Fix It" as found in the August 31st, 2009 issue of Time Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment